Northfield Girl Scouts records
Scope and Contents
The Northfield Girl Scouts records (1954-48-0) contains a variety of items dating from the years 1925-1929. The records are bound together in a black loose leaf notebook. Included are three group photographs of Oak Troop No.1 taken in 1925, 1926, and 1927. One photograph is at Bantam Lake. Also present in the records are annual reports submitted for 1925-1929. The annual reports contain descriptions of the troop's yearly activities, as well as officer and member lists, and brief descriptions of finances and expenses. The 1925 annual report also contains a list of items designated property of the Northfield Girl Scouts. The records also include an invitation for the "Mother's and Daughter's Banquet" given at the Northfield Congregational Church Parlor on November 7, 1929, and several essays composed by troop members discussing the benefit of the Girl Scouts to the community. The item is currently housed in 3A Box 21.
- created: 1925-1929
- Other: Date acquired: 02/01/1955
- Northfield (Conn.) Girl Scouts (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright has been transferred to the Litchfield Historical Society for materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection. Copyright status for other collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Biographical or Historical Information
An interest in Girl Scouting first became apparent in Northfield, Connecticut in 1924. In response to the interest Miss Inie Aldirch formed a group of nine girls which met with her to learn about Girl Scouting. Their first meeting was held under a oak tree near Miss Aldrich's home. The troop was later named "Oak Troop No. 1" after the location.
Mrs. Albert H. Wedger was later chosen as Captain of the newly formed Girl Scout troop. Mrs. Norris Seelye was named first Lieutenant and Miss A. Elizabeht Holm was named second Lieutenant. They were commissioned on November 7, 1924. A committee of three, composed of Miss Inie Aldirch, Mr.s Raymond Platts, and Mr. Henry Gill, was also established and the Oak Troop No. 1 of the Girl Scouts of Northfield were registered at National Headquarters on November 7, 1924.
Note written by
0.00 Linear Feet
1 volume other_unmapped
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Mr. P.J. Hewitt, Jr.
Method of Acquisition
Existence and Location of Originals
multi-part note content
Other Descriptive Information
This collection was processed with support from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
- Northfield Girl Scouts records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description